Venison haunch is a large roasting joint from the hind quarters of the deer. It is a great alternative meat to your traditional Sunday roast and works brilliantly when teamed with a rich red wine and fruity gravy. It is also delicious when served alongside a sweet red cabbage or celeriac mash. Not only is the venison haunch extremely tasty but venison is low in fat & cholesterol whilst being high in protein & iron.
Below is our favourite roasted haunch recipe. This recipe will give you a medium-rare joint of meat – cook it for longer if you’d prefer it to be well done.
For the roast:
- 2 tbsp oil for frying – veg or sunflower
- 650g venison haunch
- 2 carrots, peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
For the gravy:
- 100ml red wine
- 2 tsp redcurrant jelly
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 250ml beef stock
- ½ tsp arrowroot (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 220°C/Gas 8. For the roast heat the oil in an oven and flameproof roasting tin, shallow casserole dish or frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Add the haunch and brown it on all sides. Place the veg tightly around the meat and season with pepper. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 180°C/Gas 4 and roast for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, transfer the meat to a plate and cover it with foil.
- Make the gravy while the meat rests. Add the wine, redcurrant jelly and rosemary to the pan with the veg still in it. Heat over the hob and stir to release any caramelised bits of meat from the pan. Boil for 1-2 minutes, then add the stock.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes to reduce the gravy slightly. If you prefer your gravy slightly thicker, whisk the arrowroot with 1-2 teaspoons of water to make a smooth paste and stir into the gravy.
- Strain the gravy, season to taste and serve with the roast venison.
All of our deer are home reared, enjoying they’re life in our sweeping and peaceful parkland. All our venison is butchered and packaged by our colleagues at Fen Farm Venison.
Venison Haunch Reserve online and pay on collection.
All of our venison is available to reserve online and you pay on collection from our farm shop. Unfortunately at this time our venison is unavailable for home delivery.
To maintain its freshness our venison is frozen and so will still be frozen when you pick it up. If you are planning on entertaining then please take this into account and that you will need some time to defrost your venison thoroughly before use.
Our farm shop is open between 9am-1pm Monday to Friday or at other times by prior arrangement.
Venison Weight and Pricing
Our venison is sold here in weight bands. The price you see here may vary from the price on the pack at the time of collection.