Venison braising steak is a great cut for slow cooking. A long slow cooking process allows the meat to tenderise. You can create delicious, wintry casseroles or pies, be that for an update to an every day dinner or for entertaining. The recipe below, sourced from Good Housekeeping magazine is our favourite casserole recipe.
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 140g turnip or swede, roughly chopped
- 2 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- olive oil and butter, for frying
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1kg venison braising steak cut into chunks
- 5 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly (or rowan or hawthorn jelly)
- 450ml dry red wine (Rioja is good)
- 450ml beef stock
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
1. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Fry the vegetables in a little oil and butter in a heavy-based casserole for 4-5 mins until golden. Tip in the garlic and fry for a further min, then set aside.
2. Put the venison braising steak into a plastic bag with seasoned flour and shake to coat. Add a little more oil and butter to the pan, then fry the venison over a high heat, stirring now and then, until well browned. Don’t crowd the pan – cook in batches if necessary. Set aside with the vegetables
3. Add the redcurrant jelly and wine to the pan, and bring to the boil, scraping up all the bits that have stuck to the bottom. Pour in the stock, then add the thyme, bay leaf, meat and vegetables. Season if you like and bring to the boil. Cover and transfer to the oven for about 1½ hrs or until tender. Remove from the oven and check the seasoning.
All of our deer are home reared, enjoying they’re life in our sweeping and peaceful parkland. All our venison is butchered and packaged by our colleagues at Fen Farm Venison.
Venison Braising Steak – Reserve online and pay on collection
All of our venison is available to reserve online and you pay on collection from our farm shop. Unfortunately at this time our venison is unavailable for home delivery.
To maintain its freshness our venison is frozen and so will still be frozen when you pick it up. If you are planning on entertaining then please take this into account and that you will need some time to defrost your venison thoroughly before use.
Our farm shop is open between 9am-1pm Monday to Friday or at other times by prior arrangement.
Venison Weight and Pricing
Our venison is sold here in weight bands. The price shown here is an approximate price for the weight band you have chosen. Each pack is individually priced so you can pay the final total on collection.